Saturday, April 24

Day 114 - Marveled at strength

My old boss lost her long battle with cancer recently. She was 42 years old. She had survived breast cancer, and a year later, was diagnosed with leukemia. She went in and out of remission for over a year. She was a sweet, generous, caring, laughing, smart woman who I wish I got to know better.

Her family and friends that spoke at her service today were amazing. They struggled with their intense feelings of loss while honoring this courageous woman through such heartfelt words. Her mom, her sister and brother, her uncle and cousin, friends and coworkers all spoke to her greatness while showing such strength. Truly amazing.

The chapel could barely hold everyone. Attendees spilled out into the street, squished into pews. It was no surprise, but as her mom said, it would have surprised her. She just was that wonderful person to her core. Those of us that worked with her felt it every day. How often do you find a boss that works hard to build a family at the office? Rarely. She was one of those people.

She was the one that encouraged me to sit for the CPA exam. She signed off on my paperwork. She guided me when I became a manager for the first time. She always impressed me with the way she would stop in to say hello to each individual in our department every morning, one by one.

I believe we learn a little something from each person we come across in this world. From some, we take away more than others. Alison was one of those people that made you want to be a better person just by being herself. We are all better just for knowing her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis