Thursday, April 8

Day 98 - Had a European lunch

Today I found myself on an outdoor patio on a beautiful day. I had been in the same spot for about an hour earlier, chatting with a friend. Unfortunately for her, she had to run off for another appointment, leaving me alone with the sunshine and a growling stomach. My plan to kill time before my next meeting was sidetracked by this luck. I had lunch here, which was actually not the unusual thing.

No, the strange part was that it felt strangely like sitting in a different country. The man across from me was reading the newspaper with reckless disregard for time. The business meeting next to him lasted for four hours. The tourists fresh from the conference center were excited and speaking French. I was eating quiche.

We were surrounded by beautiful flowers and fragrance. The courtyard seemed to fend off the tall buildings around us and the serious business they held. The sun seemed to be shining only here, the blue skies floating only over our heads.

These things never seem to happen and here they were, all happening at one time. It was a vacation in downtown San Francisco, and one I will not soon forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis