Saturday, April 10

Day 100 - Saw radio in action

For 24 hours, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of SF teamed up with KGO Radio 810 for their annual Cure-a-Thon. The regular station DJs use their magical voice powers to raise money for the cause in a telephone fundraising drive. My shift began at 6 AM, and when I arrived, the on-air team was in full vigor like it was lunchtime. Amazing.

There were no radio booths, no On Air signs. The personalities stood in the middle of the room around a table, sharing encouraging words through their hand-held microphones. The 70-something-year-old head of the event was the most energetic person in the room, not slowed at all in his 30 years of participation. Volunteers arrived in teams, all smiles and big hearts. It was truly an uplifting morning.

APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!
Well, thank you, thank you. I can't even believe it myself, that I've made it through 100 days of new things. Some have been very lame, some have been very exciting, but all have been new. I've learned it takes work and dedication to keep things lively, but the results are invigorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis