Sunday, January 10

Day 10 - Rode backwards for one snowboarding run

My goal for the last couple of years has been to learn to ride backwards on my snowboard. Snowboards are directional, with a definite front and back. But when you are on a long run, or need to get out of a sticky situation, riding backwards can give your front leg some rest and help you avoid obstacles. It's just a good skill to have in your back pocket.

Last year, I would try it now and again but never really committed. This year, I once again proclaimed that riding backwards is my goal for the year. I was lucky enough to get a new snowboard this season that has some new technology allowing the rider much more freedom of movement. So it seems like the best year to really give it a good, solid try.

I completed one whole run down the mountain riding backwards. It was slow-going and the hard snow did my rump no favors, but all in all, not too shabby! It was the first time I've ever done it for one whole run, through slow patches and steeper sections, just trying to feel my way through. Must add this as a regular thing to my days on the snow, but you may want to avoid Lower Monte Wolfe for a few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis