Tuesday, January 12

Day 12 - Learned about California

Do you know your state's motto? Or flower? No, neither did I. But I've always been curious so took a smidge of time to find out. You can, too. Infoplease.com has a very informative section on state symbols. Or start at the map page and click on your favorite state to learn more about the demographics, history, and government. OMG, did you know that Arnold Schwarzenegger is the governor of California? Kindergarten Cop? When did this happen? ;-)

California facts
Bird: California valley quail
Tree: California redwood
Flower: golden poppy
Animal: California grizzly bear
Fish: California golden trout (why is this necessary?)
Colors: blue and gold
Song: "I Love you, California"
Motto: Eureka (I found it)
Nickname: Golden State
Entered the union: 1850, the 31st state

Compare to New York, where I was born and raised
Bird: bluebird
Tree: sugar maple
Flower: rose (awww)
Animal: beaver
Fish: brook trout
Gem: garnet
Insect: ladybug (awww. And also why?)
Song: "I Love New York"
Motto: Excelsior (ever upward)
Nickname: Empire State (like the Jay-Z song)
Entered the union: 1788, the 11th state

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis